Argghh

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
Phil

Argghh

Post by Phil » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:27 pm

Hi

We've just bought the new Palette VL with a backup system and wireless remote.

A few questions:

Does anyone make a wired remote? The wireless range is very poor. We have been using a laptop wired into the network but the RFU software is very awkward to use with a mouse and can't call up colour groups? (Focussing scrollers)

On the 500 we used to use the command:

215 update cue 0 thru 152 @ copyfrom 156

We are a rep company that brings shows back, but recorded levels in the show file need to be swapped to other channels.

And also:

98 update cue 0 thru 152 @ +10

Again very usefull but no longer there, along with Network status screen so you could view which nodes where online and operational.

Can't think of anything else at the moment but I'm sure tomorrow will bring up more questions.

Thanks in advance

Phil

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: Argghh

Post by RobertBell » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:48 pm

I don't have a bucket of good news for you Phil. You've tripped across some true deficiencies of the Palette OS.

Cue range Copy From one to another light is not there. You can only copy a range of fixtures to another range (or 1:1) Live (i.e., in current cue). High on our list to do. Same thing for +10%.

Currently there is no network monitoring (so you don't know the health of nodes or RFUs). Also, did you buy your RFU from Strand? They use s SYMBOL access point and iPac thing. I've had very good luck with it. What is the s/w version of your RFU (if it's 1.x you will have serious problems with connection and disconnecting). Current version is 3.1.

Keep with us. We listen.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:28 am

Yes we did buy the wireless system from strand, RFU 3.0 on a PDA with a motorola wireless box. The range is about 5m.

Thanks

amoyer

Post by amoyer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:44 am

That's very strange about the distance you are getting from the wireless box. We have the two different systems available and with both of them our range is much greater then 5m. I would recommend making sure that the antenna is located in the open and not behind a wall if possible.

As for the wired remote option, it is possible. Strand also sells this but rather then the nice Symbol PDAs it is a HP iPaq with a ethernet card that fits into the compact flash slot. The iPaq is definitely not as durable as the Symbol PDAs nor does it have the benefit of preventing people from doing whatever they want with it, software wise. At least it is an option if you are having trouble with the wireless.

You also mentioned using a laptop. With the laptop you should be using the Remote Palette software rather then the RFU software. Grab the keyboard shortcut list from the help file and you will be off to the races. It isn't quite as easy to operate as the console itself but it is possible.
Andrew Moyer - Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Light Palette Live (v10.8.6)
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)
Classic Palette ii(v10.8.5)

MattKlasmeier

Post by MattKlasmeier » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:13 pm

Phil,

Something does not sound right. I have had extremely good luck with the Symbol/Motorola PDA and Access point. I have the single access point in a basketball arena and get complete coverage. Below is a list of items to check.

Single Motorola/Symbol access point.
Part # 66150 Pocket Palette Standalone Kit US (includes remote and wireless access point)

-Check the adapter cable that connects the access point to the antenna. The reverse SMA connector can be fragile.

Motorola/Symbol controller with (2) access ports
Part # 66149 Pocket Palette Networked Kit US (includes remote, controller switch, and (2) access ports.

-Network/ Cat 5 cabling
-Switch settings, if this is being routed through a network switch. It could keep the access ports from communicating correctly with the controller. Try bypassing the switch and connect them directly (through the patch bay) to the controller.

For all systems

- Placement of antenna
- Changing the channel that the access point is using.
- Check firewall settings of the console. This would not account for the short range but may account for poor connectivity
- If this is the SOMO650 it maybe worth looking to see if there is a power setting that throttles the wifi. I ran into this with Dell PDA's for 300/500.
- Check to see if the PDA is switching between networks.
- Access point settings. This should have been done by the factory. Please consult the factory for more information regarding making any changes.

Wired PDA :
Part # 66136 Pocket Palette Wired Remote US

As for network status.
Use the web browser and log into a node (SN110) and use it's network function to see who is online. It is not perfect but you can see some devices.

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:24 pm

Thanks

Moved location of aerial and configured, vastly improved signal strength, still not quite what we were expecting though.

JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:47 pm

Wifi is one of those technologies that is continually being "upgraded" over time by the manufacturers. They are getting very impressive compared to similar models from only a couple of years ago, but remember that the world of radio transmissions will only get more and more cluttered, and depending on what else is in your location, and when they turn on/off, you make find your range being curtailed.

You need to diagnose what is being broadcast near you, and the best tool for that is one called "Net Stumbler". You should be able to find that on Google. Running on XP, and on a laptop with WiFi, it interrogates the radio waves for every WiFi signal it can find, and tells you what channels they are on. With that running walk around your venue, where you be wanting to use the RFU, and you will get a list of channels to avoid.

Also, get that antenna as close to where you actually use the RFU as possible.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

lxpalette
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: In my car with the engine running

Post by lxpalette » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:52 am

Would you like me to come and sort it out for you Phil?

bAz :mrgreen: