All lights blink quickly at a random interval.

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
Spety

All lights blink quickly at a random interval.

Post by Spety » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:49 pm

Hello,

The high school that I attend has a Strand Sub-Palette board, two DMX universes that both go through a 301 board backstage, then universe 1 goes to our two Strand dimmer racks, and universe 2 goes to the DMX outputs throughout the building. Sometimes, but not all time time, and at random intervals, all of the fixtures will drop out for half a second and then go back to normal. Nothing to indicate this is shown on the screen of the console. Could this be a problem with the console? Or is the problem somewhere else in the chain?

EDIT: Oops, sorry this probably should have gone in the operational issues section.

JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Re: All lights blink quickly at a random interval.

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:52 pm

The thing that comes immediately to my mind is a DMX termination issue. Is the flashing happening on one stream or both?

Otherwise, I have had an instance where a Palette console was flashing strangely. Never really got to the bottom of it. Strand replaced the panel in question. It was like a moire pattern running through the DMX. Test by putting a device that shows you DMX values received, and watch for the flicker.

Disconnect sections of the DMX path to see if the problem is removed - and good luck!
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

gooze

Re: All lights blink quickly at a random interval.

Post by gooze » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:02 am

I would say, remove the 301 and try if it's still there. Otherwise it might be the dmx flavour that needs tweeking.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.