Tracking Backup

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
TaineGilliam

Tracking Backup

Post by TaineGilliam » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:08 pm

I understand a wee bit about tracking backup. I can setup one console as the "master" and one as the "backup" the backup appears to track the "master".

It appears that the two consoles only sync the show when the "master" saves. This is a distinction from some other tracking backup systems (not a bad thing just a note). Operation of submasters and playbacks/go buttons on the "backup" is also disabled. Programmer/command line operation of channels on the backup displays on screen at least.

When the "master" console network cable becomes unplugged I get a nice countdown on the "backup" and it goes online - Yea !!!.

Now for the $25,000 question: Once the proble on the "original master" is diagnosed and it reappears on the network, how do we enable it to resume its duties as "master".

JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Re: Tracking Backup

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:28 pm

I only just noticed your post (I put a similar one in the Beta Section). For those with access, it is here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1278

FYI - I am not getting the count-down in the latest software version (10.4.2), and there are issues I have with the fact that it appears SOME things are shown on both displays (cues), but Looks and the programmer are not.

I think Tracking should act entirely as a remote engine session, with FULL access and control of the "mother" console, AND the ability to take control cleanly.

I also flagged the problem of "resuming control"
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:34 pm

Hardware Setup | Console has a check box called Foruce Outputs on Recovery. This works in single desk situation so that as soon as a desk recovers from a crash or power failure, it will start outputing DMX. Handy in architecural situations, but not necessarily in the theatre. Often you want more control over when and what gets output. In a tracking backup machine, you will see the countdown 5...4...3...2...1 then it will automatically start outputing if FORCE OUTPUTS is checked. If not, you will get a warning box that the main when down and you must mannually take control. This ensure that both the main and the backup don't both start outputing on the wire at the same time if you just have a temperary network issue (switch re-booting).

Once a backup goes hot - we suggest you leave it hot until the curtian comes in. There currently is no way to switch back to the master, except to manually disable outputs (File menu) on the backup and re-boot the master. Some call this a short coming. Other call it prudence.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Returning seamlessly to the "repaired" master seems like a pretty important feature especially in the "less traditional theater"/architectural applications.

John's point of wanting the Tracking Backup to be a full bi-directional full time flow of information seems more in keeping with the 500 series model. Not that I don't see some benefits to "tracking w/ updates only on save" mode.

Taine