Ideas from the Field 19.06.08

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
AmberTomlin
Primary Venue / Use: Trade Shows
Where I Am: London, UK

Ideas from the Field 19.06.08

Post by AmberTomlin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:02 am

Hi All

I have listed a few ideas which I think are great and we should look at including. Please give me your feedback.

Personality options ( point 1 & 2)

1. Could all dialogue boxes in the genius pro personality be turned off? Examples range from the ‘apply levels’ box and also the ‘ update’ box

2. Currently in 10.3.1 when you record over an existing look or cue you are able to choose whether you can a) overwrite the original information or b) merge in the changes. It would be great, in the 500 series personality, to maybe slightly alter what we have already to give the users a true genius pro behaviour by having the following;

When you press record you always overwrite the information
When you press update you always merge in the changes.

Other ideas and points.

3. With our present 4 modes of operation that can be assigned to the looks I have had a request for a submaster with can change its behaviour to a submaster which is an independent sub but can be recorded.

4. Following on from point number 3. I know we have lots of potential submaster options in the pipe line, but I thought I’d reiterate what points I drew from my training session. The need to be able to change the behaviour of the submaster buttons like we can change the behaviours of the DBO buttons would be great. Options such as solo and flash.

5. A ample thought but i think a very effective idea concerns individual timing. It would be good if we could add a time clock in attribute columns as well as the time column if an individual timing is assigned to an attribute.

6. Is there a possible way to have a default MIB time for two sets of lights such as Scrollers and Moving lights? If not a default but a way you can change the MIB time for the two ranges of lights without having to mark the items manually?

7. In the patch screen we have the ability to create and attach profiles such as colour & intensity. Is there anyway you can edit these profiles whilst seeing what your doing onstage at the same time. The example I’m thinking about is the scrolls of colour. You can change the dmx value encase you have a set of scroller /s which has their colour slightly out of sync. You can therefore edit the profile so you don’t have to re-scroll the item in question but just alter the dmx value to make it a whole colour across the scroller. This is something which you really need to edit as you have the item on stage.

8. Can we have the ability to disable the playbacks on the Light Palette series like we can on the A/B and C/D playbacks? The reason this would be great is if the playbacks are used as an FX area the operator does not want a faux par where the playlist master is down at zero and the cue runs with the attached playlist/FX. Thus meaning the FX runs but all values are at zero . This could maybe be added in the cue list properties box.

9. Feedback from the field on the part cues is that they do not like the parts being represented as letters. Their argument is that designers work in numbers not letters. Has anyone else had this feedback?

10. Can we have REM DIM minus sub?

11. Can we have UNDO REM DIM? Allowing the user to go back to the state they were plotting previously.

12. Have you already looked and added to your list channel and dimmer reporting? Syntax is [channel #] [report] or [dimmer] [report]. I have been informed this was a highly useful tool on the older strand desks.

13. When using FX’s in a cue stack is there the possibility to add a few more timing options to the action box / macro box. These could be items such as dwell times.

14. Also when using the FX’s in a cue stack option is there anyway we could add an option which enables the operator to select the time of the cuelist that’s being inserted. Example. If you have a step effect in a cue list and insert that FX in more than 1 cue in your main cue list it will always have to be inserted at its default cue time found in the separate cue stack. This may not always be desirable, in one of the cues you may want the FX in question to snap quickly, in the 2nd cue its needed in it may need to be slower. In order to re-create this in the cue stack area you would have to make a new effect.

15. I know it’s another 500 series operator request  but will we be able to condense the screen to just contain channels which are being used/ patched. I’m sure there’s a few more screen displays that were available. This is really important for people who are operating.

16. Would it be possible to have the highlight tool on a M Key next to Rem Dim :) pretty please?

17. On a Hog or Pearl I have been informed that when you patch in a moving light it will offer the ability to import/create groups which reference the lights colours and gobos. Like making groups but its automatically. This is an option and you can select No. Have we looked at something like this?

18. Example. Using a LP VL and the quick selection keys on the top right hand side of the console I select a group of channels, put them in a position and add a colour. I quickly change the colour to add a bit more saturation nut I now want to update that colour group quickly.

In 500 series I could press update (x2 I believe) and it would know what group I was updating. Can we do this in Version 10? Maybe adding a softkey to you press update and then ‘last group used’. This would be so quick when making alterations. Also this needs to affect nesting etc I think.

Thats it soo far... :D

Amber
Amber Tomlin

Key Account Manager - UK
Philips Entertainment

gooze

Re: Ideas from the Field 19.06.08

Post by gooze » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:38 am

AmberTomlin wrote:1. Could all dialogue boxes in the genius pro personality be turned off? Examples range from the ‘apply levels’ box and also the ‘ update’ box
In all the personalities, but WindowsUI, there are no dialog boxes unless you press [SHIFT]+[UPDATE]
AmberTomlin wrote:17. On a Hog or Pearl I have been informed that when you patch in a moving light it will offer the ability to import/create groups which reference the lights colours and gobos. Like making groups but its automatically. This is an option and you can select No. Have we looked at something like this?
I think we don't need that, tanks to the Abstract Control Model. If you select gobo and double tap the gobowheel1 you get a list of real gobo names. Same for the colorwheel. Plus you can (as you have a CMY spot or even a set of cyclights(!)) choose from all the Lee, Gam, Rosco, etc. colors. That makes the automagically created groups of a wholehog look pretty miserable. (Try to patch in four different kinds of movers and create these groups... you will get pretty disapointed...)
AmberTomlin wrote:18. Example. Using a LP VL and the quick selection keys on the top right hand side of the console I select a group of channels, put them in a position and add a colour. I quickly change the colour to add a bit more saturation nut I now want to update that colour group quickly.

In 500 series I could press update (x2 I believe) and it would know what group I was updating. Can we do this in Version 10? Maybe adding a softkey to you press update and then ‘last group used’. This would be so quick when making alterations. Also this needs to affect nesting etc I think.
Yes please! And also update during a running cue, without jumping to the end of it.

The rest of your ideas are also quite valid, but some operators need to loose a little, little bit of rust here and there... :P
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.