Highlight

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
barbarab

Highlight

Post by barbarab » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:35 pm

I have just installed 10.3.1 on classic palette and am trying to understand how highlight has changed.
What is the function of the "Highlight" key now? Is it only accessible through Tools and the key is disabled?
I tried Help Highlight and nothing happens
Also is there something wrong with Help? When I press Help, it says press a particular key for help with that (nothing happens) or press Help again for more general help. Pressing help again just takes me back to my channel grid.
Last edited by barbarab on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barbarab

Re: Highlight

Post by barbarab » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:47 pm

Before the software upgrade, Highlight used to take the selected channel to Full and other channels to zero. (Like Rem Dim)
Now it seems to take the selected fixture to 80% without affecting other fixtures.
Is this meant for moving lights?
What is the difference between the "Highlight" hard key and the "Highlight" on Tools?

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:11 pm

Is there a way to configure "Highlight" to go to Full instead of 80%?

Does anyone out there have a highlight key? Just explaining to me how yours works would at least be encouraging.
thank you!
Last edited by barbarab on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gooze

Post by gooze » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:22 pm

Highlight is mainly used for focusing moving lights. There are some troubles though. The software is sometimes confused between the higlight and the tools button and the highlight button also delta's every ML attributes it highlights, so that is saved when updating a position, lens or gobo look.

What the highlight key does (It is the key down-right on the numeric keypad on a Classic Palette), is putting the channel on 80% and (for Moving lights) puts it on open white, no gobo, etc. for easy identification of that specific light in a large rig.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

Buffy
Primary Venue / Use: Regional Theatre
Where I Am: Midlands Ireland

Post by Buffy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:48 pm

I find it very handy when flashing through the rig for numbering, select your first fixture, hit highlight then just use the next or previous keys to merrily trudge through the plot.
Let's just use the 23

golights

Post by golights » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:44 pm

You can press Shift Highlight and all selected channels will go to 100%. Unlike the Full and On buttons, pressing Highlight again will take selected channels to their previous levels. If you have a Cue active, pressing Shift Highlight will take you to Lowlight where all the channels active in the cue will go to 20% and selected channels will go to 100%. You can add Looks and other Channels and their levels will not be affected. Great way to isolate channels in a Cue.

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:09 pm

Buffy wrote:I find it very handy when flashing through the rig for numbering, select your first fixture, hit highlight then just use the next or previous keys to merrily trudge through the plot.
Yes! This is exactly why I'm asking. I really liked using highlight for this purpose, until I installed 10.3.1 and now it doesn't work as well, because 1) it only flashes to 80%, and often I am channel checking with the works on, so Full is preferable, and 2) i very often want to add a channel to the highlighted channel so I can see them both at once, but the new software doesn't allow that. (Examples: gam fx loops, mirror ball and mb lights) The latter reason is why I liked using Highlight so much better than the channel check available under Tools, and also because it was easier to skip channels that you didn't want to bring to full (example, loaded confetti cannons, uv cannons).

Does anyone have any suggestions about a good way to step through the rig where it's easy to add a channel as well as skip channels? The problem with the prefab "Tools" channel check is that you have to get all the way out of it and close it out to do either of these things, and call it up again to continue.

thanks for the responses!

golights

Post by golights » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:40 pm

You can use your mouse to select the channels you want to Highlight, or if you have a touch screen just touch the channels you want Highlighted. You can press highlight then type in the channel numbers, press enter and those channels are in Highlight. Lots of ways to do it.

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:34 pm

Thank you!

Is it possible to program a macro key with "At 0 Next Full"?

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:25 am

While Highlight is on, instead of just typing the next fixgture number, type [+] [5] [Enter]. The + will add to the current selection set.

As for your macro, it's not pretty, but:

Code: Select all

HC.UIMacro('@0{enter}','{next}')
HC.SetLevel(HC.GetCurrentSelectionSet(), 255 )
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.