Channel Upgrade

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
golights

Channel Upgrade

Post by golights » Tue May 06, 2008 11:30 am

I would like to upgrade the number of channels my console has and was wondering if there is a max. I can install on a preset palette.

JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Re: Channel Upgrade

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Tue May 06, 2008 5:10 pm

Strand will tell you 1500. The actual max is dependent more on what you are trying to do. Any CPU can only handle a certain level of functions. Trying to upgrade beyond 1500ch is a waste of time with THAT CPU. Of course, there is nothing stopping you buying an LP Brain as a spare part, and using that in your console. It will fit in your case AND you will get a second monitor output as well.

I have taken a LP 3000ch key, and put it into a Palette to see what would happen - and yes, you get 3000ch.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

golights

Post by golights » Tue May 06, 2008 8:07 pm

Thanks for the reply John, we are adding a few movers to the system and the 100 channels the console came with is bare bones in today's world. Just wanted to make sure the 1024 upgrade can be installed in the console with out any problems.

golights

Post by golights » Fri May 09, 2008 10:38 pm

John, after getting a quote on the 1024 upgrade, I think you should keep your 3000 ch. key in a safe place. Talk about the price of gas.

JohnGrimshaw

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Sun May 11, 2008 6:22 am

It is a normal scenario that a software expansion is expensive - and it remains somewhat divisive one for some. Many are surprised and upset at the cost of channel upgrades, but I always try to remind the client that the nature of the way the software is sold allows for very inexpensive desks at the entry level. There are very few options at the "low end" that gives a user the range of controls that Palette does.

This does tend to make the upgrade seem expensive, because lets face it, you are not actually buying something tangible.

The cost of the software is essential to maintain the development - new features, bug fixes and so on cost money. Serious money.

Unfortunately, the internet, and the growth of free ware available from there has given people unrealistic expectations of the real cost of programming. Now, Strand have no policy on charging for software upgrades, and long may it stay that way (imagine if it cost money to upgrade to V10!), but they need to make money somehow!

The person selling you the upgrade has very little choice in the price they offer you - and it will always be more "economical" to buy excess channels at the time you buy the console. I do this all the time. I have made it an internal policy that we always upgrade the consoles up from standard before they leave the factory. This certainly has had no real impact on sales that I can determine.

I know none of this really helps you, but there it is!
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

golights

Post by golights » Sun May 11, 2008 9:00 pm

John, you are correct on all points. We did an upgrade on our lighting system and the purchase of the palette was part of that. I have found that it would have been easier to include the cost of the channel upgrade during the intial purchase (while we were working up the cost of the system upgrade) than it has been trying to find the money for the upgrade 6 months later. We love the console and we will be doing the channel upgrade but in smaller steps.

JohnGrimshaw

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Thu May 15, 2008 6:58 am

Can I just say that "Strand love to sell things, and we sales people are always ready to make a deal."

I'll leave you to join the dots ;)
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd