Software upgrades

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
PaulNoble
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: New Zealand

Software upgrades

Post by PaulNoble » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:13 pm

I have a client with a classic pallette that they have just upgraded themselves.
It had version 2/3.xx from early last year installed and they have upgraded to 10-3-1.

However in "questioning them it appears" they have just installed the 10-3-1 software and not upgraded the engine.
They say the console booted into the new look software and outputted DMX. They have not used it since.

My understanding was that the engine must be upgraded prior to upgrading to version 10 xx software ??
( seems strange the software would load with an incorrect engine ?)

If this has happened can we simply upgrade engine or is there another procedure needed to get things correct.

Thanks

Paul
Paul Noble
Kenderdine Electrical Ltd
Auckland, New Zealand

SeanGallagher

Re: Software upgrades

Post by SeanGallagher » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:25 pm

For 'best results' it is recommended to install shell v5.4 with operating system v10.3.1.

As I have had reports of problems running v10.3.1 with CP 4.0, I recommend keeping things current to what is carried on the Strand site.
Sean Gallagher
The Lux Productions
Sonoma CA
http://www.thelux.com

MattKlasmeier

Post by MattKlasmeier » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:30 am

I would also recommend installing the XPE patch to.

Sean what is CP 4.0? Is that the shell number? I feel some kind of documentation would be helpful so users know how to check the version numbers of the OS,Shell, and XPE. A sticky note on the forum with a list of current versions would also be useful.

JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:33 pm

I would like to see the software upgrades incorporate the shell upgrade somehow - even just a dialogue box saying:
Dialogue Box wrote:You have just installed Palette v10.3.1, and replaced 3.4.6. Please note, your current "Shell Version" is 5.3. Please download and install "NewShell 5.4".
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

SeanGallagher

Post by SeanGallagher » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:53 pm

The most up to date Shell v5.4. (CP = Control Panel= SHELL) This is the window you see when you shutdown the OS. It offers various Window style abilities including shutdown. Since the initial offering of SHELL v4.0, attempts at improvements have been made relate to optimizing USB, providing PCB diagnostic features, Network backup/remote capability. For best performance SHEL 5.4 is capable of driving OS's as low as 3.2.0. I have been able to solve user problems by upgrading SHELL from 4.0 to 5.4.

The present release OS: v10.3.1.

The Forum contains a proper explanation of the Engine/GUI relationship; if not it soon will. The Engine is installed during the OS upgrade. For v10.x.x RELEASE software, OS number assignment is I-D-E-A-L-L-Y the same as the Engine number. The exception to this may be necessity of an intermediate-official corrective release. The coders may have more detail to add..
Sean Gallagher
The Lux Productions
Sonoma CA
http://www.thelux.com